Saturday, July 31, 2010

Daily Tweet Breakdown

Daily Tweet Rehash

You know you need a Home Stager if...

Your 'style' looks anything like homes in TV reruns from the '60's, '70's, '80's.....

This should be self-explanatory, but by the homes I've seen and the listing pictures I see......well, it's not. Your decor really needs to match, first of all the current style, and secondly, your price point. That may be going out on a limb, but I have seen more million dollar homes with trailer-park furnishings. If your home is listed above 3-4 hundred thousand dollars, then I say it should look that way. When I see older furnishings inside a home listed above $300,000.00, the home just doesn't feel like it's worth it. Dated furnishings can ruin a sale, if you ask me.

Now, I'm not advocating buying new furnishings. But, I am asking to update what you can with slip covers, fresh bedding, etc. And I am definitely advocating removing all the spoon collections, wooden magazine holders, lacy valences, and all items that look like they belong in your grandmothers house.... Less is more. I see this in a lot of homes owned by elderly folks. When we are trying to help elderly people sell their homes, it's really best to bring in that third party (read, Home Stager). Stagers can make those delicate suggestions that the listing agent might be wary of making. Now, don't think just the elderly folks are the only ones with dated furnishings, because they are not... Many, many other homes suffer the same fate.

Buying a home is an emotional purchase. How can you connect with a home when it is looking dated and frumpy? Most buyers are buying up, right? Well, that high-end listing doesn't look like a step up if it's looking like grandma's house....! Just saying.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment