Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Coeur d'Alene how do your pictures hang?

Daily Tweet Rehash

Home staging tip - The middle of your hanging wall art should be 60" - 70" from the floor.

That is a general rule of thumb in the industry. I personally feel that 70" is a wee bit high. I tend to keep the middle of all my pictures at about 60" - 65" from the floor, I feel that is a better height.
Having said all that, I tend to bend rules when it come to the size or shape of my wall art. Another rule bender is when hanging anything behind a couch that is up against a wall. If your picture is not very tall, hanging it at the 60" mark might be too high. You don't want a lot of wall space between the top of your couch and the bottom of your picture. It's like having "high-water" pants.....You know, waiting for a flood....
If any of your art is tall and narrow, then try the rule out and if it doesn't feel right, move your art accordingly. And remember, when selling your house, take down all your family pictures. Only neutral artwork should be displayed. Nothing too religious, ethnic, culture specific, ultra modern, or "travel" art (art bought while on vacation - it tends to be too taste specific). A good question to ask yourself about your art, "would I see this same art in a nice, chic hotel?". If your answer is "no", then you might need to think about updating....

No comments:

Post a Comment